brought to you by Taste of Home (Fall Baking) and edited a little by me.
1 large honeycrisp apple, peeled and chopped
1 t lemon juice
1 sheet refrigerated Pilsbury pie crust
2 T sugar-free apple jelly
2 T Splenda
1/4 c vanilla baking chips
1 T cinnamon
1/3 c sliced almonds
1 t skim milk
1 c ideal or confectioners’ sugar
1/8 t pure almond extract
1/8 t imitation butter extract
1 – 2 T skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, toss chopped apple with lemon juice; set aside.
2. Roll out pie crust onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread jelly to within two inches of the edge.
3. Sprinkle pie crust with apple mixture, Splenda, baking chips, cinnamon, and almonds.
4. Fold edges of pastry over the filling, about an inch and a half. it will fold over itself every three inches or so, since it is round. Leave the center uncovered.
5. Brush the folded pastry with skim milk before baking.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry has turned golden-brown.
7. Use parchment paper to slide tart onto a cooling rack. While cooling, combine powdered sugar, extracts, and milk, until desired consistency for icing is achieved.
8. After at least 10 minutes, drizzle icing over tart and serve warm.
– Excellent served along with coffee, turkey bacon, and eggs!
– Original recipe calls for sugar instead of Splenda.
– Original cook is Stacie Blemings of Heath, Texas.