ALMOND COFFEE CAKE
1 loaf (1 lb.) frozen bread dough, thawed
1 package (8 oz.) light cream cheese, softened
1/4 c Splenda
2 egg whites
1/2 t pure almond extract
1/8 t imitation butter extract
1/4 c vanilla chips
1 T skim milk
1 c confectioner’s sugar
1/4 t pure almond extract
1 to 2 T skim milk
1/2 c slivered almonds
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and Splenda until smooth. Beat in egg whites and extracts (filling will be soft). Spread down center of rectangle; sprinkle with chips. On each side, cut 1-in. wide strips, about 1/2-in. from filling.
3. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
4. Brush with milk. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown (loaf will expand considerably). Cool on wire rack.
5. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and extract. Stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds.
the above recipe contains my adaptations, but is originally from Taste of Home’s Fall Baking 2012 Special Edition magazine. it is attributed to Mary Shivers of Ada, Oklahoma. she instead uses whole fat cream cheese, real sugar, one whole egg, no imitation butter extract, vanilla OR white chips, and 2% milk in her original recipe. I have never produced this recipe according to the original directions, but it was easy and delicious with my lower fat and lower sugar adaptations.