1. Number 4 Clarifying Shampoo – The gentlemanly scent of this shampoo was a welcome break from the loud, over-the-top variety that seems to have taken over the store shelves. My hair didn’t necessarily feel squeaky clean afterwards, but it didn’t feel stripped down to the core either. $32 for 250ml will likely keep me from making this N.4 shampoo a habit, but it was an enjoyable experience non the less.
2. Number 4 Firm Hold Hair Gel – Wow. In 13 years of styling my hair both as short and mid length, I have never before crossed paths with a product like this. Enough hold to keep my course hair controlled and completely frizz free while never being crunchy, sticky, or flaky. I could have gotten away without even rinsing my hands after styling. $32 for 5.1oz seems a bit steep, but it goes a long way. I’ve used the .25oz sample 3 times and I’m approx half-way through it. Rough maths would suggest you can get ~122 uses out of the bottle making it about a quarter a use. Depending on how painful the switch back to my previous daily product is, I just may pick up a bottle.
3. John Allan’s Cool Face – Being a man of minimal body & facial hair, I’ve never had much of a problem with post-shave irritation. I had never used an after shave before as I’ve never felt the need to buy one. This was a welcome opportunity and overall enjoyable. It was essentially like putting on a very light moisturiser with a mild, clean scent and slight cooling sensation. At $23 for a seemingly lifetime supply (see minimal facial hair), it seems like a good deal that I’ll likely pass on.
4. BENTA BERRY Super Moisturizing Face Cream – I would give this moisturizer a solid “ok”. While I appreciated the non-oily and creamy consistency, the more than slight soapy scent was less than pleasant. At $20 for 30ml, I’d pass this one up.
5. John Varvatos Artisan (Cologne) – I really like this. The smell is slightly fruity and slightly woody in a really good way. It’s very fresh smelling and not at all musky. You won’t smell like your father. Somewhat inexplicably, I felt like this smell really represented where I’m at in life. I’m young, relaxed, and trying to do my own thing, but I can also be serious and want to be respected. At $82 for a generous portion, this would make a great gift for your man. Nudge nudge, wink wink 😉
6. The Knottery (Knit Tie) – In case you haven’t noticed, knit ties are kind of a big deal right now. Indeed, I had been longing for one myself. That’s why I was pleasantly surprised to find one in my Birchbox! Mine is dark, dark navy blue with a square, ivory tip. Very stylish and the build quality seems exceptional thus far. A+.